Wilshire has been a buzz over the last two weeks! We were thrilled to invite families into Wilshire ES for our Spring Spectacular – a night to celebrate the Arts. We were at capacity with over 300 parents and family members to watch the dance, view the art gallery and cheer on all our performers. It was a wonderful night. Over the last weeks we have seen:
- Our Junior Girls & Boys Basketball teams compete in the area tournament. The teams brought the heart, skill and fun to the court. Congratulations Wilshire!
- Kindergarten Scientists in the Schools was a success as our young scientists explored all sort of fascinating facts about our human body.
- Our Library Learning Commons has explore Earth Month, Building Challenges, International Day of Pink
- The Gr. 7/8’s in Ms. Angilletta’s class hosted a Poety Cafe event
- Our Gr. 5/6 – 7/8 classes have been participating in workshops with Ms. Charlene from Doahl Dance Academy. She has been taking us on a trip around the world to explore the origins, cultural significance, beauty and excellence of dance.
Please take a few minutes to review some important information for upcoming events at Wilshire:
Meaningful May Challenge: A new month has begun and we challenge our students, staff and families with the Meaningful May Challenge. Take a few minutes each day to consider the beauty around you – whether in friendships, nature or simple moments life takes us through. You can access the calendar in many languages here!
School Council Meeting: All families are invited to our virtual School Council Meeting on Tuesday, May 9th from 7 – 8pm. We will be planning our next community event: The End of Year Carnival on June 1st. Mark your calendar. You won’t want to miss this. Please find meeting sign in information below:
Click here to join the meeting
Meeting ID: 262 158 108 205
Download Teams | Join on the webLearn More | Meeting options
Wilshire Food Drive has one week to go. You still have time to donate non-perishable food items to the Vaughan Food Bank to support families in our community. Donation boxes are in the front lobby of the school.
Summer Learning Programs
During the month of July, YRDSB continues to offer credit and non-credit summer school program opportunities for elementary, secondary and adult students. Registration is now open for the following programs:
Elementary Credit and Non-Credit Programs:
- Camp Black Brilliance (for Black Families entering JK or SK)
- Summer Institute (K-8)
- Elementary Summer School (Grades 6-8 non-credit reinforcement)
- Grade 8 Reach Ahead (credit)
- In-Person Learning
- Online Learning
- Adult Literacy and Basic Skills
- English as a Second Language
- Citizenship Classes
- Language Instruction for Newcomers to Canada
For more information about summer learning programs and registration please visit www.yrdsb.ca and follow us on Twitter @YRDSB.
Every Student Counts Survey
Letter to Families
This information is also available in the following languages: Arabic, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Farsi, Gujarati, Hebrew, Korean, Punjabi, Russian, Tamil, Turkish, Urdu and Vietnamese.
From April 24 – May 12, 2023, York Region District School Board will be engaging students in the Every Student Counts Survey.
- Students in Kindergarten – Grade 3 will be sent home with an invitation letter and are encouraged to complete the survey at home with their families.
- Families with students in Kindergarten to Grade 3 attending EVS will receive a separate communication regarding the survey administration process.
- Students in Grades 4-12 will be provided with time in class to complete the survey.
- Students whose families chose to opt them out will not receive the survey.
This survey offers students and families an opportunity to share their experiences and valuable feedback. The information collected will help the board continue to meet the diverse needs of students as well as identify and remove barriers to learning.
Information about the Every Students Counts Survey as well as past communications to families are available on the board website.
Thank you foryour support of this important initiative.
Sincerely, Scott Yake (Interim Director of Education)
Social Media Presentation at Thornhill Public School
The Wilshire Community is invited to join a parent presentation on Tuesday, May 9th at Thornhill PS at 6:30pm, featuring Paul Davis, renowned keynote speaker on staying safe online and on social media. Paul was with us at Wilshire ES last year to provide a presentation to our students.
- Gino’s Pizza is on TUESDAYs. Orders can be made and paid through www.healthyhunger.ca by Thursday at midnight for the following week.
- Subway sandwiches are on WEDNESDAYs. Orders can be made and paid through http://www.healthyhunger.ca by Friday at midnight for the following week.
- Kids Kitchen will provide hot lunches to our students on FRIDAYs. Place your orders at www.kidskitchen.ca. Orders can be placed online until 10:00am the previous day!
On the Horizon
- May 9, 11, 16, 18 – Doahl Dance Academy Program (Gr. 5/6 – 7/8)
- May 9 – School Council Meeting (7pm)
- May 9 – Paul Davis Online Safety Presentation at Thornhill PS (6:30pm)
- May 12 – Last Day of the Every Student Counts Survey
- May 16 -23 – EQAO Gr. 6
- May 18 – Discover Kindergarten
- May 22 – Victoria Day (no classes today)
- May 23 – 26 – EQAO Gr. 3
- May 26 – Gr. 7’s to BORC Outdoor Education Centre
- May 26 – Kindergartens to Tiny Town
- May 29 – Gr. 4’s to BORC Outdoor Education Centre
- May 30 – Gr. 2’s to BORC Outdoor Education Centre
- May 30 – Track & Field (Gr. 4 – 8)
- June 1 – Track & Field (Gr. 4-8 Rain Day)
- June 2 – PA Day (no school)
- June 21 – Gr. 8 Graduation
- June 22 – Term 2 Report Cards go home
- June 30 – Last Day of School for the 2022 – 2023 School Year (1/2 day – more details to follow)